TawnyaLucas8506

An aunt to admire

My family originated in a part of Mississippi west and south of Hattiesburg. Mostly poverty and gut wrenching hard work just to almost feed the family. The 'defense industry' that kept my dad out of WWII was a little one blade saw mill that paid $4.00 a week. THe family member that started breaking that chain of poverty was my Aunt Lillie.

My grandfather was a minister/carpenter and he built a school house and home for the new teacher my grandfather hired to help break the chain of ignorance. After graduating eighth grade my Aunt Lillie became a teacher's aide, and then a teacher, and some time later married the teacher. Some later one of those fevers that used to wander around the south, visiting a community and killing a pretty good chunk of the population, came through and killed off a bunch of the population, including her husband.

She continued to teach, to study, and raise her kids. On the day she retired she received her Master's degree. One became a minister and the other she put through MIT.

DiGriz
    Sounds like a smart woman

TawnyaLucas8506
    On a darker side of the educational circle, we had a full time substitute teacher named Ledbetter. All the other teachers, women teachers, gained up on her, tried to have her ticket pulled and run out of town on a rail. Tarring and feathering optional.

Her crime? She wore that era's mod clothes and drove a yellow '57 T-bird.